Search This Blog

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Table Topics

At every Toastmasters meeting we have a section devoted to Table Topics. "Table Topics" is an unrehearsed speaking exercise where the speaker speaks "off the cuff"; that is, the speaker responds to a question or topic that is not known beforehand. The Table Topics Master presents the topic, calls on an individual, and then that individual has 1 to 2 minutes to respond. In our club, you have 90 seconds.

This is one of my favorite times at Toastmasters. During a recent meeting I was asked to stand and address the assigned topic. I started to shake, my mind went blank, and after what felt like forever, my mouth finally began to speak! It's crazy how your brain starts moving and then the words begin to come out. It seems like an eternity standing there trying to think of something to say and you wonder "When will that light come on so I can stop speaking! Surely I have spoken long enough!" Ah, the light. Yes, we have a light that signals our time, thank goodness, or I would probably end too soon. With a sigh of relief, you finally see the light and you can end. You hurry and take your seat and wonder, "What in the world did I say?"

So, do you want to give it a go? Okay, this will be good practice for you! Set the timer for 90 seconds. Here is your topic: Talk about the most trouble you have ever been in. On your mark, get set, GO! Woo Hoo, fun isn't it? There are several members of our Cottonwood Toastmasters Club that are amazing examples of ad-libbing. I look forward to hearing form them during the Table Topics session of our meetings. I look forward to hearing from you too. Feel free to leave a comment about your first blog assigned Table Topics speech. We would all like to hear about it!

Come join us for an afternoon of fun! It will brighten your day and quicken your step. You will walk around with smile on your face and everyone will begin to wonder what you are up to!

Signing out for now,
Your Cottonwood Toastmasters Toastie,
Laina Lloyd

No comments:

Post a Comment