Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Earthworms and Public Speaking

In our Cottonwood Toastmasters Club we are fortunate to have a Master Gardener. He recently gave us a speech on "Earthworms the Living Soil". He even brought some of the little wiggly creatures for us to see. Did you know that earthworms are major decomposers of dead and decomposing organic matter and get their nutrition from the bacteria and fungi that grow upon these decaying materials? Did you also know that there are over 7,000 species of these little creatures?

Charles Darwin calculated that earthworms can move large amounts of soil from the lower strata to the surface and also carry organic matter down into deeper soil layers. A large portion of soil passes through the guts of earthworms, and they turn over the top 6 inches of soil in 10 to 20 years. The channels made by deep burrowing earthworms, lined with readily available nutrients, make it easier for roots to penetrate deep into the soil. 

As a child I was always fascinated with worms. After a rainstorm I would run outside to watch them wiggle in puddles of water. I remember touching their slimy bodies, yuck, running in the house to wash my hands, then running back outside to touch them again. Holding an earthworm in my hand was a little too gross, but as I got older I grew to appreciate them and often got excited when I found some in my garden. To me this was a sign of healthy soil. 

So next time you see an earthworm, think of Cottonwood Toastmasters! The place where we provide channels and nurturing for deep personal growth!


Cottonwood Toastmasters meets every Monday 12:00 to 1:15 at the Cottonwood Village, 201 E Mingus Ave. Guests are welcome. For more information call Laina Lloyd at 928-300-8638 or Dave Ellison at 634-6540

No comments:

Post a Comment