Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Interpretive Reading

The Interpretive Reading Manual is part of the Advanced Series in Toastmasters. Once you have completed your Competent Communicator Manual you can go on to choose from a variety of other manuals. In the Interpretive Reading Manual you have the following projects:
1. Read a Story: Your goal as reader is to enthrall your audience with a story that the audience isn't even aware of the reader.
2. Interpreting Poetry: Share a poem that people will enjoy hearing as you read it aloud.
3. The Monodrama: This project is where the speaker appears to be talking to an unseen person or perhaps only to their self. This should be a highly emotional presentation.
4. The Play: This is a project where you read parts of all the characters distinguishing them by different voices and actions.
5. The Oratorical Speech: In this project you select, rehearse and present a famous speech.

In my last project I did project number two, Interpreting Poetry. I decided that I wanted to have a little fun while bragging on my husband. He is an author and a poet. Whenever he reads a book he writes down key words or phrases that impressed him the most, puts these words or phrases into poem form, then sings them to a song. His favorite song to do remembering poetry with is "The Battle Hymn of the Republic". Here is one of his song poems that he made after listening to a recent Wayne Dyer PBS presentation. We all had fun singing this in our club. I hope you enjoy it too!

I feel extremely confident, good, healthy, strong and free.
I feel energetic, masterful and grateful to be me.
And it's all because I'm naturally connected, like the sea,
Fused with Divinity.


I can do it if I see it.
Focus energy and free it.
Make my mind up and I'll be it.
Fused with Divinity. 

Enjoy your day and remember, you too are "fused with Divinity"!
Thanks for reading,
Laina


We meet every Monday 12:00 to 1:15 at the Cottonwood Village, 201 E Mingus Ave. Guests are welcome. For more information call Laurie Rangel at 928-300-1130 or Laina Lloyd at 928-300-8638

No comments:

Post a Comment